1.2.4 -- Faults FUDGE DeryniNOTE: This is not an all-inclusive
list of Faults. It is merely an attempt to represent some of the more common
ones that might occur in the setting of the FUDGE Deryni game. Feel free to
develop your own, or look to other resources for inspiration. For example, many
of the Flaws in Ars Magica 4th Edition would work very well for this game.
Always speak with the GM first before counting on taking a certain Fault that is
not listed here, as it may need tweaking before fitting into the Deryni setting.
Appropriate Ars Magica Flaws will usually translate directly into this Fault
system at the same cost, but in the case of any differences use the chart here
as the final word.
Variable Cost Faults
- Duties and Responsibilities: You have responsibilites that restrict
your actions. This is taken in addition to a landed title in most cases,
although there may be other uses.
- Unknown Background: There's something you don't know lurking in
your background. This doesn't have to be something bad, but it is something
that only the GM knows. This varies in cost, depending on how big an unknown.
Taking this Fault at any level gives the GM free reign to do something with
this at any time. Large Faults may be broken into several smaller ones.
- Blocked Deryni: Someone in your past Blocked your powers. This can
be reversed if you can find someone else with the Blocking ability to undo it.
- Black Sheep or Disowned: Your family acts as if you don't exist for
some reason (that you might have actually casued), or they would like to
pretend you don't.
- Illiterate: In this somewhat romanticized view of medival life,
most nobility were taught to read and write. It isn't uncommon, however, that
someone might not have been, especially with women and younger sons, but it
will pose some problems for the character. Rather than buy down the Skill, you
purchase this Fault.
- Lame: Character moves with a pronounced limp. Penalty to actions
requiring quick movement or standing combat.
- Lowered Attribute Level: This Fault lowers one Attribute one level,
of your choice. You may take this Fault more than once.
- Personal Trait: You have some trait that hampers your personality
and drives your behavior, not necessarily in a good way. Please check with the
GM before choosing this Fault.
- Terrible Secret: You have some secret to hide from the rest of the
world. This is something that will damage your reputation, your family's
standing, and/or affect you in other ways. Deryni blood is covered under its
own special rules, and doesn't count for this Faul
- Wealth Below Station: Your family, for whatever reason, has little
income or wealth to draw upon.
- Known Deryni: Everyone knows you and your family are Deryni, and
act accordingly (usually negatively).
- Secret Deryni: Your family has hidden its Deryni blood for so long
that no one, including the family, knows that you have it. Your character is
still unawares of his heritage until something triggers his abilities.
Requires some level of Deryni blood. May not have any Skills in the Deryni
group, and most of the starting Deryni Skills will be at minimum default level
and not your Power. May not be a priest.