1.2.3 -- Gifts in FUDGE Deryni NOTE: This is not an
all-inclusive list of Gifts. It is merely an attempt to represent some of the
more common ones that might occur in the setting of the FUDGE Deryni game. Feel
free to develop your own, or look to other resources for inspiration. For
example, many of the Virtues in Ars Magica 4th Edition would work very well for
this game. Always speak with the GM first before counting on taking a certain
Gift that is not listed here, as it may need tweaking before fitting into the
Deryni setting. Appropriate Ars Magica Virtues will usually translate directly
into this Gift system at the same cost, but in the case of any differences use
the chart here as the final word.
Variable Cost Gifts
- Unknown Benefit<: Somewhere in your past is something
beneficial. It could be a long lost heritage, a magical endowment, or
something else entirely. Actual results are up to the GM and the player
accepts and assumes no control over how this will benefit his character
(although suggestions are certainly welcome).
- Additional Attribute Level: Each time you purchase this Gift, you
may raise one Attribute one level.
- Ambidextrous: Character can use either hand with equal ease,
preventing penalties when using the off-hand.
- Blocker: Has the power of Blocking Deryni powers, effectively
rendering that Deryni a human. Blocking is a Healing function, and is such
only available to Healers, and is a new ability under the Healing skill.
Prereq: Deryni blood, Healer. Very rare, and almost unknown, and the
Blocker may not know he has the ability.
- Damage Resistant: You can take more punishment than most people.
You gain a +1 to your Death Tests. You may take this Gift more than once,
with GM approval.
- Deryni Full Blood: True Deryni heritage. Both your parents were
full Deryni. Gives a Power Attribute of Fair, which may be raised or lowered
as any other Attribute. Also, confers the status of being "pure bred" among
- Deryni Priest: Somehow the character made it through the tricky
process that prevents Deryni from becoming priests. (Must avoid the
merasha-laced Communion wine at sacring, which is an unknown fact at this
time. Prereq:Hidden Lineage, as a known Deryni would never have
gotten to be a priest.
- Healer: The innate Deryni ability to heal. Character has access
to the Healing Skill, and starts with a Healing Skill equal to his Power
(which may be lowered as part of the char concept, but you do not get points
for that). Prereq: Deryni Blood (Full/Half/Trace). Almost unknown.
- Wealth Exceeding Station: Your family has a lot more money and
resources than is normal for your Rank. The higher the character's Rank, the
less useful this is. This is used to show a Yeoman merchant who has a
successful trade, for example.
- Deryni Formal Training: You have been given formal schooling in
your magical abilities. You gain 1 Character Creation Point for Deryni
Skills, and may buy Advanced Skills.
- Hidden Lineage: Your family has managed to keep their Deryni
blood a secret without losing the knowledge that they are Deryni. The
benefits from this are lost if the character makes it known. There could be
resulting ramifications to their family members if the secret is made known.
- Training: This is any type of training that is intensive. You may
take this more than once. This could be Squirehood, University scholarship,
or apprenticeship at a trade. You do not have to take this to have had that
type of training in your background, but buying this Gift gives you a
Character Point in the appropriate group. (The GM is final arbitrator on
what counts as "appropriate.")