Different types of mages exist with various specializations. These specializations are mutually exclusive, and members of one type cannot crossover and cast spells of the other types. Prerequisite spells of forbidden colleges may be learned, but not cast.
This "white" magic that does not harm or coerce the subject and does not involve souls. This discipline is usually opposed to Sorcery and Necromancy, though individuals can coexist.
- Knowledge (except Divination)
- Communication/Empathy (except Control Person, Exchange Bodies, Possession and Permanent Possession)
- Light/Darkness (except Darkness and Dark Vision)
- Healing (except Instant Restoration, Instant Regeneration and Resurrection)
This involves magic that can harm or coerce the subject and often involves souls and spirits. This discipline is usually opposed to Wizardry, though individuals can coexist. This discipline is often allied with Necromancy.
- Mind Control
- Necromancy (except Zombie, Control Zombie, Turn Zombie, Resurrection, Age and Steal Youth)
This involves essentially "black" magic of death and darkness. Necromancers are universally feared. This discipline is often allied with Sorcery.Colleges:
- Light/Darkness (except Light, Continual Light, Colors and Flash)
- Body Control
- Mind Control (Fear and Terror only)
This discipline involves the creation of illusions. Feats of sleight of hand are also within this field. This discipline is often mistaken for "stage" magic and parlour tricks.Colleges:
- Sleight of Hand
This discipline involves the creation of magic elixirs.
This discipline involves the prediction of events through Astrology, Tarot cards, and other methods.
- Knowledge (except See Secrets, Wizard Eye, Invisible Wizard Eye, Mage Sight, Mage Sense, Identify Spell and Analyze Magic)
- Astronomy/TL 3
This discipline involves the healing of the body.
- Body Control (Resist Pain only)
This involves the forging of magical weapons and armor.
- Enchantment (Enchant, Weapon Enchantments, Armor Enchantments, and Limiting Enchantments)
This discipline involves the casting of magic through runes. All spells must be cast through runes.
- all colleges
- Rune Lore
This discipline involves the magic of animals and plants. Primitive mages, such as Druids and Shaman, fall into this catagory, as well as foresters.
The following colleges are open to any of the above disciplines:
- Meta Magic